Thursday, July 16, 2009

Girlfriends

The word girlfriend can mean something different to everyone. The dictionary defines the word as "a frequent or favorite female companion". I have always believed it is better to have a few true girlfriends that I can count on one hand rather than a ton. I am lucky to be able to say that there are three friends who I consider very dear. Each of these friendships developed in different chapters of my life. The saying goes there is a reason for every season.

Becky Davis
I met Becky this past year through our sons high school swim team. We clicked immediately and I soon recruited her into helping me as team mom. Becky is easy going and fun. We both have teenage boys that are heading into their junior year in school. We are able to relate to each other as our sons give us grief (meant lovenly of course). Becky has shown me that it is okay that Nate is getting older and will soon leave our nest. I have been able to see that their is a new and hopefully exciting new chapter to enter in to. We love to hang out doing just about anything. We talk about having some getaways with and without our spouses. I love Becky as she would get along totally with my other two favorite girlfriends.

Melissa Westlake
Melissa came into my life when we were in the process of trying to adopt. I remember her coming to my house and writing an article on our family to attempt to help us with this endeavor. Initially we connected through infertility/adoption as we were both had experience with these struggles. Our friendship only became stronger. Until she moved, we had weekly lunches (many times with her driving as i was sleepy from working the night before) and were together sometimes more than we saw our husbands. Melissa is awesome, shares many beliefs and has many secrets from our girl getaway! I miss our hanging out immensely. I also love Melissa because she calls me aunt kelly to her girls.

Joann Anderson
What can I say...Joann and I have been friends since childhood. We grew up in the same ward at church. We used to share lunch trays from the cafateria together in high school. She has memories of my VW Bug. Joann was in my wedding. Nate and her daughter Leanna were born within a month or two of each other. I can say a lot more....but most of all...I am able to say that our friendship has endured many trials and for a long time (even with us always living in different states).
I am grateful to these girlfriends and for the events that brought us together. The memories have been great and I look forward to our friendship continuing and many memories to come!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree! No matter how many acquaintences I meet, I'd rather have my few real friends within phone's reach. Wherever we end up, you will always be one of the few I can rely on. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post what a great idea. There are those really special people in our lives! Thanks for making me smile today.

    ReplyDelete